DIY Vs. Professional House Moving: Pros And Cons
Aug 28, 2023
During a house move making the decision to move yourself or take professional assistance is difficult. Both methods have their pros and cons and to make an informed decision, you must assess your situation to know what is the best option for you.
The DIY method is best for small scale moves where you don’t have excessive things to pack and move. However, if your home has multiple rooms and there are large and bulky items to move, it is best to hire professional removalists in Gold Coast to handle your relocation.
It is important to decide what you want to do before planning a move for smooth transition from your current home to the new home. Thus, here is your complete DIY vs. Professional house moving guide outlining the pros and cons of both methods. Use it to choose the right option for you.
Weigh The Advantages & Disadvantages of Both Methods
Start by creating a moving checklist to outline your tasks and streamline them according to importance and urgency. Additionally, create a budget to list ongoing and one-off expenses like hiring removalists, paying rental bond etc. to determine what moving method is feasible for you and your family financially.
Once you have your tasks outlined and expense estimates, gain clarity and make an informed decision by weighing the pros and cons of DIY moves and relocating with help.
Pros Of DIY Moving
A DIY move is common for a small scale move like shifting to a shared house, dorm, a short-term rental accommodation etc. However, if you are considering it for complete house relocation, here are the advantages.
- It Makes Your Bond Stronger with Family: When you undergo pressures, stress and challenges with your family, you can feel your familial bonds strengthening. Working as a unit and braving the difficulties together is a shared experience.
- You Control Every Aspect: The packing and moving planning, date, and time is in your hands. You can decide what to move and when. You can manage the process at your pace and control everything from A to Z.
- Can Be Economical: A DIY relocation is more budget-friendly when moving a short distance with a small packing & moving load. You can monitor the expenditures & prevent depletion of savings.
Cons Of DIY Moving
Planning and managing every aspect of a house move is tiring for people with work and personal commitments that leave them with little to no time. Other significant cons of DIY moving include:
- More Risk to Belongings: Since you pack and move things without professional expertise, your belongings are at a higher risk of misplacement or damage. Additionally, it doesn’t help if you don’t have moving or contents insurance.
- Delays & Inconveniences: Delays due to high traffic, poor management and last-minute packing are common during DIY moves. These delays cause inconveniences and elevate your stress.
- Stressful & Hectic: Packing and moving yourself are tiring & chaotic because you have to complete them while taking care of various other essential tasks like changing your address, setting utilities, etc.
Pros of Hiring Removalists
Hiring professional removalists in Gold Coast is the first choice of people with demanding work schedules, small children, pets, or personal commitments that require their time, energy and efforts.
- Smooth Moving Experience: Professional removalists have the expertise, experience and equipment to pack and move your belongings without delays, stress or inconvenience to you.
- You Can Focus on Other Tasks: Unlike a DIY move where you do everything, during a professionally managed relocation, you can complete other tasks & only need to supervise the activities.
- Better Protection: Since removalists in Gold Coast hired via reputed companies have insurance; there is better protection for your belongings against loss or damage of items. You can also get moving insurance from reputed removalists.
- Customised Solutions: When planning a long-distance or interstate move, you can need flexible packing, storage, backloading servicesand moving assistance. Professional removalists in Gold Coast provide personalised solutions and help manage your relocation partially or entirely.
Cons of Hiring Removalists
Usually, taking the assistance of removalists in Gold Coast reduces moving stress, increases convenience and streamlines the process. However, it has its following cons as well.
- Expensive: When moving on a tight budget, hiring professionals is costlier than moving yourself, especially when managing small-scale or short-distance relocation.
- Less Control: While some people like delegating packing and moving tasks to professionals, you can struggle with relinquishing control to strangers.
- Must Book Removalists Early: You cannot delay or wait until the last moment to hire quality removalists. Unlike a DIY move, you cannot move at your time because good removalists become unavailable when you don’t book them in advance.
Moving to a new house is fun and exciting only when you have everything sorted, from packing to moving your belongings. You must explore your options and determine the best way to move – do it yourself or hire professional removalists in Gold Coast. Thus, use the insights shared in the guide above to make an informed decision and manage your relocation without hassle or stress.